Belgians love their fries. Autumn is pumpkin time. So how about some pumpkin fries with pumpkin soup? Delicious and wholesome!
What do you need?
- 1 pumpkin (about 1.5kg)
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 dollop of butter
- 150 ml of cream
- 1½ l of chicken stock
- 2 tbs of roasted almonds
- ½ bunch of finely chopped chives
What do you do?
- For the fries: Cut the pumpkin into pieces and remove the seeds. Peel off the skin and cut the hard parts into the shape of fries. Keep the rest for the soup.
- Heat the deep fryer to 180 degrees. Dip the fries in the flour. Shake any excess flour off.
- Deep-fry the pumpkin fries for five minutes and let them drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle the fries with celery salt.
- For the soup: Put a knob of butter in a pan and add a finely cut onion. Let the onion simmer and add the turmeric.
- Cut the pumpkin finely and add to the pan. Cut the carrot in rough blocks and add them too. Flavour with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock.
- Add the tomato puree to the soup and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime you can make the garnish for in the soup: cut the tomatoes in four and remove the pulp (which you can add to the soup). Cut the tomatoes into blocks.
- Toast the almonds and cut them coarsely. Cut the chives finely.
- Add the cream to the soup and mix finely. Place the garnish on the bowls and pour in the soup.