Our globe is 70% water and the human body is 60% water. So, water is of vital importance, both to the Earth and to humans. It is therefore also important to use water sparingly, so that there will be enough drinking water left. Because drinking water is healthy!
Do you drink enough water? Is a glass of carbonated water as healthy as plain water? How is carbonated water made, anyway? And what are the pros and cons? We got it all figured out for you!
Whether you opt for plain or carbonated water, water is always healthy. Water does not contain any sugar or calories, unlike most soft drinks. So, water is always better! But what if a glass of plain water is just plain boring? Then carbonated water is a good alternative.
Carbonated water is water in which carbon dioxide (C02) has been dissolved under pressure. Part of that carbon dioxide escapes from the water through the bubbles that rise to the top, but most of it remains dissolved, which causes that prickly feeling on your tongue when you drink it. Carbon dioxide is colourless and not toxic; it naturally occurring in the air you breathe. Perfectly healthy
Pros of carbonated water
- Carbonated water contains more sodium and calcium than plain water. If you don’t like to drink milk, carbonated water is a perfect alternative for your daily dose of vitamins.
- If you are watching your weight, carbonated water is recommended. It gives you a satisfied feeling sooner, decreasing your craving for snacks between meals.
- Carbonated water ensures that vitamins are absorbed better by your body. This also applies to medicine you may be taking.
Cons of carbonated water
- The carbon dioxide in carbonated water may affect your tooth enamel, which may speed up cavities. A tip: drink it with a straw so it will have less contact with your teeth. Brushing your teeth very well every day helps too, of course.
- The sodium in carbonated water may cause higher blood pressure. People with high blood pressure should therefore not drink too much carbonated water.
- People with irritable bowel should also not drink too much carbonated water. The gas in the water may make you feel bloated.
Conclusion: water is healthy, whether you prefer to drink it with or without fizz. Have a glass of carbonated water instead of a soft drink and you can’t go wrong!